Thursday, November 18, 2010

Introduction/About Me

Aloha Folks!  My name is Brandon Souza and i am happy to say that this is the first time i'm ever attempting to do any sort of sophisticated internet "blog."  Currently, I am enrolled in a MUS 478 (Hawaiian Music) class at UH Manoa instructed by the incomparable  Dr. Amy Ku'uleialoha Stillman or humbly known as "Auntie Amy."  Yes that's right the class focus is about Hawaiian Music.  Notice how i said "about" Hawaiian music meaning that the class does not teach us how to play, perform or entertain Hawaiian music.  MUS 478 is a rare opportunity to become educated of the history, sources, and defining Hawaiian music by a significant icon in the Hawaiian community.  So when asked to do a term project with our own idea of a topic a few things came to mind.  First off, aside from the traditional term paper we were offered the chance to be a little more creative with our delivery, therefore i decided to do a blog.  Note that my blog, like Traditional Hawaiian will still continue to strive and be active even after the term project is due.   This blog is dedicated to the preservation of Hawaiian Music.  The big question you will come to ask yourselves while reading and interacting with this will be "is Hawaiian music a dying art?"  


Before i go on, I want to make sure that i tell you (oukou!)  about myself and basically who I am.  For those of you who don't know me,  I was born and raised here on Oahu and living in Kapolei for almost all my life.  Growing up i attended Maryknoll Grade School and then entering Kamehameha Middle School as a 7th grader.  It was there at Kapalama heights where my interest in Hawaiian music escalated greatly.  After  Graduating from the Kamehameha Schools in 2007,  I went on to  Kapi'olani Community College and now at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.  I am engaged to my fiance Ke'ala, and I am a new father to our son,  Kia'i.  My passion for Hawaiian music comes from years of instillment, observation, interpretation and appreciation which eventually drove me to just become a musician.  I started playing music since i was 10.  Professionally i started performing music at 12 years old.  Its safe to say that in the present I am one of the youngest traditional Hawaiian music performers that perform regularly throughout the week for various venues and events.  I pride myself of the fact that I am a pretty young guy that plays Hawaiian upright bass.  Throughout my earlier life playing upright bass was unheard of.  None of my peers did this, nor did it seem cool that i did it, but considering that it was a bit of a strange talent at the time i'm so glad i stuck with the bass for it has opened countless opportunities of playing music.  I strive to be busy with music and feel blessed for the opportunity to have performed and continue to perform with many older legendary names and "fresh" headliners as well.  Some mentors which continue to help mold me are prolific musicians like my brother Keoni Souza,  Kawai Cockett (deceased), Ainsley Halemanu,  Kimo Alama Keaulana, Ihilani Miller, The Tevis Ohana,  and Ha'alilio Hyer.  I have a rise from learning how to play with all sorts of musicians and loves the fact that i am able to learn their selected styles of traditional Hawaiian music.  




Remember, there is nothing fancy about this blog.  My goal is for this blog to be an advocate not only for the younger generation of Hawaiian musicians, but all Hawaiian musicians and Hawaiian music lovers as well.  Stay tune for my next entry....

2 comments:

  1. HOWZIT !
    It's good to see young people, although a small percentage, continuing the culture of Mele Hawai'i. It takes people with passion, such as yourself, willing to take the journey to keep it alive. Keep it up and stay strong with it, I hope that one day I will have children that will experience the voice of Hawai'i,too.
    Keanu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, It's always great seeing the younger generation showing an interest in Traditional Hawaiian Music. It's great that the youger generation has someone to look up to like yourself. Not being much older then some of them, I know that they can learn so much from you. Personally, watching and hearing you perform traditional hawaiian music is so refreshing. I have so much respect for you, and the aspect that you put on the music. Hearing your voice as you sing these songs, is like hearing it for the first time. I think with you starting this blog will help so much people out there. Not only people learing more about the music, but people that who maybe thought about getting into singing, you can give them a point of view of what goes into it. I wish you the best with this blog, with your musical career, and with your new family. I know that Kia`i will always be proud of you as a father! Again, Much Aloha and Much Respect!

    Lokene Pilago

    ReplyDelete